Monday, November 22, 2010

Truly Dogged Out

Truly Dogged Out



Before you read this, I hope you realize that I already know and have come to terms with the fact that I may lose a few followers after this post. I also know accept that this may not be popular opinion, but my response to both is this…don’t let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Although I am not an Eagles fan, I am and have always been a fan of Michael Vick. The things that he did at Virginia Tech were phenomenal and the way that he elevated the Atlanta Falcons to national prominence was truly remarkable. Now that he is once again taking the NFL by storm, a lot of people want to keep reminding you of his past imprisonment and “heinous” acts that landed him in prison. I have said this once and I will shout again for you; he fought DOGS!!! I love dogs just as much as the next Beaver Cleaver family member, but I will NEVER put their existence above that of a human being. Sorry. Not going to happen and for all of you that do, then you should be in the first row at the next vegan convention. I lived in Germany for 3 years and OFTEN went to the slaughterhouse on Saturdays and watched them kill cows so that I was able to purchase ribs and steaks. If anything, THAT was inhumane. The first time I watched them cut the balls off of a bull and then slit its throat was shocking and I felt bad for the animal so you know what I did? I went home and had a cookout with my friends.

I just don’t get it honestly. In the south and in other regions, dog fighting and cock fighting are sports, but because dogs are a popular pet, a lot of you take issue with that. Well I take issue with you buying a dog, putting a leash and chain on it and then tying it up to a tree. Too much like slavery to me. So it’s ok for you to use a dog to go hunt and kill another animal, but not ok for someone to fight two dogs? Does anyone else see how hypocritical that is? Ok. So Mike broke the law, but SERIOUSLY…do we have to bring it up in every interview? I don’t hear them bringing alleged rapes every time they discuss Big Ben. I don’t hear even hear them bringing up ALL of Pacman Jones’ cases anymore. Is this really THAT big of a deal or is there something else going on here that we aren’t discussing? Personally, I think that it’s a case of “we can’t stand successful black athletes with big endorsements and too much fame” syndrome. I was watching the interview with Tony Dungy yesterday and he said that he received a lot of flack for just going to visit Michael Vick. Have we as a society truly become that judgmental and forgetful? All of the people feeling like that was wrong need to take a look at their own families. Everyone has had a family member get in trouble for something at one time or another. He just happened to fight dogs. SO WHAT? What about that drunk uncle you have that has 5 DUI’s? What about that brother of yours that just went to prison for securities fraud because he stole millions of dollars from people? Get a grip people.

The truth is, compared to a lot of things happening in the world, what he did was miniscule to me. Sometimes I think that we as people trivialize the wrong things. Maybe it is just culture differences. Maybe it is racial. Maybe it is class difference. Whatever it is, it can be worked out and gotten over. I know that it vexes some people that these athletes are making millions and millions of dollars so you feel that you should be able to judge them for every misstep or mistake that they make. That is your right in all actuality, but it is my right to speak my piece on it. I will say this and then jump down off of my soap box. With wars, deficits, unemployment, homelessness, poverty and every other IMPORTANT matter happening in this country; are we seriously still putting the mistakes of one man under this big of a microscope? REALLY? That’s just a question to ponder while you are drawing your next picket sign for the SPCA. Well, that’s my Truth and I tell it while torturing this poor cow in this hot frying pan with virgin olive oil, shallots and garlic. Remember, Love God, Love You and Love people.