Monday, August 9, 2010

Unvieling the "Cold Ones"

Unveiling the “Cold Ones”



So your boy has been doing a lot of reading this weekend. I have had a lot of revelations and you know that when I do, I love to share with you guys. I hope that you all had a great weekend. Let’s get this week started off right. Enjoy.


Anyone that knows me understands that I am a closet nerd. I love to read books, listen to classical music and I appreciate the arts very much. When I read, I tend to read not only the words on the page, but also the words that are not written. Yesterday I started reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I have already seen all of the movies, but I had heard that the true story is in the book. Anyone that has read the book or seen then the movies already has the understanding that this is a love story, but I have a different perspective that I care to share.

Vampires have always been a mysterious entity within our society. Some don’t think that they exist at all, some believe that they are out there and lurking in the darkest recesses of society and some don’t care at all. Don’t ask, don’t tell. It’s even been said that Judas was the first vampire, but that is another blog for another time. In reading the Twilight story, I suddenly had a greater respect for the Edward and Bella characters. Watching the movie, I related to him because of the way that he acted and carried himself; in reading the book, I realized that Edward could represent men in general. Generally speaking, men have always been considered cold, calculating and devoid of any real emotion. Most men have a public persona, but deep inside of us there is so much more that we are hiding from the public and even those that are close to us. I realized that Bella represents what every man is searching for and only a few are lucky enough to find; the person that we can be ourselves around. There is nothing more beautiful than a love that transcends conditions and fears. Ask yourself this question and answer it honestly. Could you love a monster if you knew that’s what they were when you met them? A lot of us don’t learn the faults and shortcomings of loved ones until we have already committed time to them. If you knew all of that before, could you say “it doesn’t matter”? To me, those three words are powerful. More powerful than “I love you”; more powerful than “It wasn’t me”. To say that “it doesn’t matter” means that I see beyond the monster and see the hero.

The other thing that I loved about the dynamics of Edward and Bella is that she allowed him to be himself. Everything that he was, good, bad and ugly, she loved about him. Think about this. Shouldn’t we all experience that love at least once in our lives? A love that goes beyond the boundary of what people expect and creates its own path of happiness should be what we are striving for. As men, we should be allowed to step into the sun, take our shirts off and allow you to see the diamonds that cause us to be so hard. We should be able to tell you our innermost fears without the fear of seeming weak in your eyes. We should be able to share our darkest secrets without worrying about if your love will diminish tomorrow. We should be able to be US around YOU. The truth is this, being a cold one doesn’t mean that we are heartless; it only means that we haven’t been allowed to show it to you. That’s my Truth and I’m sticking to it. Remember, Love God, Love You and Love people.